Traditional orthodontic treatments were generally reserved for kids. Years ago, few adults got braces to straighten their teeth or close gaps in their teeth. It’s different today. If you aren’t happy with the way your teeth look, see a dentist about closing gaps in teeth on the upper or lower levels. Together, you and your dentist can decide which style is the best option to close the gaps in your teeth.

Options for Closing Gaps in Teeth

If you are not happy with your smile and you want to close gaps in your teeth, you have several orthodontic options that you can choose. Braces, removable appliances, and retainer trays can all be used to help minimize the space that exists. The cosmetic option of veneers is also available to close up the appearance of this space.


Closing Gaps in Teeth by Getting Braces

Braces are commonly used to close gaps in teeth. The orthodontist attaches brackets to each tooth using special glue and arch wires. This applies pressure that is designed to get the teeth to move in the desired direction. Today’s choices for braces designed to help you close gaps in teeth include traditional metal ones and tooth-coloured ceramic braces.


Closing Gaps in Teeth with Clear Aligners

It is possible to close gaps in teeth with a series of clear aligners, such as those offered by Invisalign®. Your teeth are moved through a gradual process that involves a new tray every two to three weeks. The trays are worn for a minimum of twenty-two hours a day. You are allowed to take them off while eating as well as while you are brushing or flossing your teeth.


Closing Gaps in Teeth with Veneers

In some cases, your dentist might recommend closing the visible gaps between your teeth with porcelain veneers. This option is a particularly good one for dental patients whose teeth are also worn, cracked, chipped, or terribly discoloured. In order to close gaps in your teeth, the veneers are fashioned wider than your natural teeth so that the gap is not obvious. Keep in mind that eventually veneers wear out and need replacing.